3.14.2012

Captivated

For my birthday this past January, I received a copy of John and Stasi Eldredge's Captivating from M's sister, having discussed the book over coffee together weeks prior. I was admittedly wary about diving into a book subtitled "Unveiling the mystery of a woman's soul" (especially in public), but I thankfully got over myself and prayerfully embarked on a journey of sorts.

This book rocked my world, y'all. I was fortunate enough to read through it with a dear friend, and we both experienced some serious stirring as a result of the truths contained within its pages. At its core, this book is about what it means to be a woman created in God's image. Not simply a person in His image, but a woman. John and Stasi explore the beauty and complexities of being so uniquely and purposefully designed as females, and help us understand the vital role we play. (Don't despair, guys; John penned Wild at Heart to explore the same themes for men.)


To men and women alike, I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I felt nothing less than cherished while mediating through Captivating's chapters. Not only did it make sense of and provide Biblical context for the longings and emotions that so many women experience (yet feel so isolated in facing), but it also serves as a call to women to own the role of honor for which God created us and to live gracefully and beautifully as the Eve of creation. It's validating, really, to know that your deepest desires are stitched on your heart by the Lord and that you are lovingly shaped to carry out a much-needed role in His story.

The stories shared by the Eldredges--a married couple--are candid, humble and clearly demonstrate many of the ways in which we all have to learn our purpose, to search our hearts, and to make room for God's providence...and continue to do so every day.

It came as no surprise that many of the themes within Captivating simulatenously resonated in other facets of my life. He is so awesome and truly the best teacher! I sincerely hope that many of you experience the same.

If you don't have the means to acquire this book (or more importantly the Bible), please contact me.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your recommendation, Natalie. I've been looking for a good Christian book. Do you have any other books that you felt were particularly good? I'm going on a long trip soon so I plan to load up my iPhone with plenty of e-books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, fun! I also really enjoyed "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis and "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW! I can really tell you were inspired by this book Natalie. Going to look for it now. Thanks for the beautiful review. Have a great day!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Natalie! I love CS Lewis' books though I haven't read the Screwtape Letters. I need to reread 5 Love Languages again too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obviously this is not a new post, but I'm thinking about reading this book and I'm planning on doing a little bookstore browsing this evening. Are there any other books (Christian non-fiction) that you would recommend? Or is this one of the best you've read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Screwtape Letters and Ragamuffin Gospel are two that I could read over and over (in addition to this one). Let me know which you decide on and what you think as you start reading! :)

      Delete